Friday, August 24, 2007

Morning Fresh...

Life smells different at 5:30 AM. I was committed to getting a solid 10 mile tempo run in this morning but I had to be at work early. Like every morning, I was up before dawn but today slightly earlier at 4:15. I fed the pootangs, made the coffee and listened to Alistair Begg at 5 AM as I do every morning. Today I was out the door for a 10 mile jaunt around 5:30. It was still dark and balmy. I had to wear my headlamp for the first few miles. Of course, senses come alive when others shut down. This morning, the fragrances were amazing. I wasn't quite sure what I was smelling but I believed it to be a unique blend of plants, dew, wood, flowers, swamp all mixed together. Maybe it can only be noticed at that time of morning. Most people miss the outdoors at that time but it is my favorite point in the day. I finished 10 miles just after the sun crested the horizon and was still hidden in the trunks of the trees. Near the finish of the run, a heard of deer crossed in front of me. By 7:15, I had coffee, 30 minutes of bible study with Alistair and completed a 10 mile tempo run. That is not a bad way to start the day! ...and I need it... every bit of it... Whether it is walking or running, everyone needs to experience that time of morning in the outdoors. Of course, it also helps with my quest. I need to move thoughout the night with a headlamp if I am to complete the last 50 miles of Umstead.

By the way... it didn't work out to go to Nottingham and run Robin Hood so it looks like I will be running around Lake Schroon...

No comments: