Saturday, August 11, 2007

Lacerating...

...someone described doing a 100 mile endurance run as "lacerating"... I suspect it will be in some ways...but when I hear the word lacerating, I think of Jesus carrying the cross up Calvary hill and the Roman soldiers whipping and beating him until his flesh is pulled from his body on his way to the cross where he died for us... Keeping things in perspective, I am positive a 100 mile endurance run will not be this extreme. There will be emotional and physical pain but it will be temporary. I am in no way diminishing what it takes to go 100 miles. I'm just trying to keep it in perspective.

So, I already missed a couple of days blogging... for some reason, it is not easy to blog everyday. I am still in final taper for the Turkey Swamp 50K tomorrow. I ran 40 minutes on the treadmill on Wednesday, a 6 miler on Thursday and took Friday completely off. I like to take the two days prior to a marathon or ultra off to rejuvenate the mind and muscles. It appears to work at my age so I'll keep doing it.

The August weather broke also and there is actually a crisp autumn feel in the air today. Tomorrow it will still be nice but a little warmer. The 2 1/2 mile loop course (yes, that is 12 loops for the 50K) is shaded so it should be a nice run. It is a wonderful way to spend 5-6 hours.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jesus went through so much pain, torchure and agony within an atmosphere to which victory seemed so distant or even void to some. But he willingly did what he had to do and so many gained the victory from his sacrifice. I know you will be strong my brother and you will have something that Jesus didn't. You will have many people cheering for you and encouraging you along the way. You will have personal help and assistance (me). And although the victory may only be yours, oh how sweet it will be. God bless you bro, love ya.