Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Learning To Walk...

I should not be the one learning to walk but I am. Similar to Tom Petty's song Learning To Fly... Yesterday I walked a 4 mile stretch of trail as I continue to consider how I need to be prepared for 100 miles. I will continue to lengthen these walks and then combine them with long runs. I know pure runners out there will say that there is no walking in running but when you consider the distance to be 100 miles, you do what you can to allow you to continually move forward. The forest was serene - quiet, still and the sun going down through the trunks of the trees just as I saw it a few weeks before in the morning as it was rising. The sun rises and sets and with it another day, another day of opportunity, opportunity for whatever you want it to be.

I also ran a solid half-marathon on Sunday in the middle of the day. I needed to rn hard for more reasons than one. I needed to mentally and phsyically exhaust myself. It was a solid tempo pace and give me hope for the Adirondack marathon next weekend.

Today I was off for my typical 5 miler before work and a few sets of pushups. I also signed up for the Hill and Dale 10K in Brielle. Supposedly, it is a challenging, hilly course but I need to run a good tempo run on a hilly course to continue to have confidence in running in the Adirondacks.

Just like a one-year old, I will continue learning to walk...

No comments: