Saturday, September 8, 2007

My Secret is My Silence...

Hi... I finally got to run the Brielle Day 10K, self-proclaimed as the toughest 10K in NJ. It was tough but I would say that there are others just as tough, the Hopewell Challenge, Woodcliffe Lakes to mention a few. I ran it exactly as I had wanted to - a solid 10K tempo run just under marathon pace. From the description, I knew the hills would be tough but it was also a hot, humid day. I ran 8:10 pace for a 50:42 which is decent on this course for me. I am typically around 46 minutes these days. I do know that I am slowing in the shorter distances and I am also carrying 10 pounds too much which is an additional 20-30 seconds per mile. I also know that it is taking me nearly 3-4 miles to warm up in a race anymore - good for the half or marathon but not so great for the 5K and 10K.

I sat in silence prior to the run. I stood in silence prior to the start. I asked God to let this race be His and to help guide me through it. He did. Sometimes silence speaks louder than words.

I ran at various times this week - morning and evening. In the 100, you need to run or move continuously for 24-30 hours so you need to feel what it is like running at all times during that period. I need to practice this and plan to run multiple times a day during some of my training. It also helps me clear my head. It is my wilderness. It is my friend.

Next up... Adirondack Marathon

Hi...

No comments: